Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Beginning

I'm not even really sure where to begin or how I feel. I know that I feel like I have no one to talk to. That the one person that I would talk to about all of this - is severely depressed.

I realized late last spring, early summer that my husband of 6 years was depressed. He went to the doctor, tried a few prescriptions, and seemed to have moderate success....or else he was just lying about feeling better.

I'm not stranger to depression. I had a bought of it myself right after we got married. I grew up with a mother who had such depressive issues that she couldn't get out of bed to take care of her family. I know what it can do. I just didn't realize how lonely it would be on the other side.

Things have been getting worse. I'm happy to report that my husband does have a doctor's appointment scheduled for the 26th of this month and I hope it will be the beginning of getting things turned around. In the meantime - I need a place to get my thoughts out - my feelings.

Irony of ironies - it's Valentine's Day today. We don't do V-day. Don't see the point. This one though - I won't soon forget.

I woke up this morning with our son at 7 and we did our morning routine stuff. Once my husband got up, he had some coffee and after a bit we talked.

He doesn't feel his medicine is working anymore and he needs something new. Completely fine - I understand that. Not every medicine works for every person - why else would they make 140,000 of them? My mom has taken her fair share as well, so I know they either quit working - or don't agree with you.

Anyway - he wants to wean off of his medication. I completely supported that. Then we continue talking -

Him: I need you to not take this the wrong way or take it personally.
Me: Okay
Him: Our son is the only thing that makes me happy right now.
Me: Okay. I mean what am I going to say? Am I going to yell at him for feeling this way while he's depressed?
Him: I want you to know that I do love you.
Me: But - because I can sense there is a but there.
Him: No but.
Me: However - because this seems to cushion the but blow

I'm not really sure how the rest of this part plays out - he tells me that he's not coping well and sometimes needs to escape or something. I ask him if he wants a separation - he said he's thought about it to escape. He knows this isn't what he wants, but feels his depression and meds are making him irrational.

Wow. What a lot to digest before a second cup of coffee. Okay - my husband is basically miserable. Awesome. So - then I just have to poke the beast -

Me: Are you in love with me?
Him: Not right now.

Wow. Just wow. What the fuck am I supposed to say to that? How am I supposed to not take that personally? Am I supposed to just understand that this is part of depression? Am I supposed to just continue like everything is fine? My feelings ARE hurt. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, what I'm supposed to feel or what I'm supposed to say. I know his depression isn't supposed to be about me, but I'm not going to stand idly by either.

He is going to get help. I believe he is also going to seek counseling - gotta jump through the insurance hoops first.

But wow - being on this side - just effing sucks.

2 comments:

  1. ((hugs))

    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I've seen the ups and downs with my mom and it's a scary and disturbing thing to watch.

    If you need to talk, vent or get a drink, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I can relate in some wys to what you are going through with your husband. I'm literally right around the corner if you need me. But you know that. I'm sorry that things are not going well right now. I think it sounds like you guys have a good plan abut how to deal with all this. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete